ARC 489/ 589– Special Topic: Citizen Planning School
Course No.: 21266
Semester: 2017 Spring
Location: Hayes Hall – 401
Meeting Day(s): Monday
Meeting Time: 6:00PM - 8:40PM
One Region Forward (1RF) received a prestigious award this year from the American Planning Association for the exemplary approach to civic engagement in its regional planning process, including the innovative Citizens Planning School and its Champions for Change program. This Spring, these programs will launch into their third year, this time with a special focus on Regional Regeneration & Climate Justice.
1RF, the University at Buffalo School of Architecture and Planning and Blackstone LaunchPad seek talented, motivated students to join the interdisciplinary team that will deliver the next iteration of this program and engage with diverse community leaders forwarding innovative initiatives in regional regeneration and climate justice.
Our diverse team of graduate and undergraduate students will work with 1RF
community partners in a transdisciplinary practicum/internship to:
1) Conduct 4-6 community forums & workshops on regional regeneration & climate justice (to be held on Saturdays and Monday evening class sessions), including listening sessions with diverse regional experts and hands on workshops.
2) Directly support community Champions for Change providing technical assistance, design & coaching support as they translate their intentions into actions to move the region forward in collaboration with partners, and
3) Develop working papers on innovative regional initiatives to advance climate justice and regenerative development initiatives in the Buffalo Niagara Region.
For more information and to apply to participate in the CPS, please contact Professor Elizabeth Walsh (email@example.com) and explore the 1RF website, http://www.oneregionforward.org/citizen-planning-school/
As you prepare to apply, please send consider the following questions:
- What motivates you to help lead the Citizens Planning School & Champions for
Change programs this spring?
- What commitments, understanding, skills, and experiences prepare you for this opportunity?
- What do you intend to learn, achieve, and contribute through your participation?