ARC 605-1– Silo City: An Inclusive Arts Destination
Course No.: 10173
Semester: 2017 Fall
Location: Hayes Hall – 420B
Meeting Day(s): Tuesday & Thursday
Meeting Time: 2:00PM - 7:50PM
This studio will explore the redevelopment of an industrial complex into a visual and performing arts center. Principles of inclusive design will be applied to demonstrate how a forbidding industrial relic can be transformed into an appealing international destination for a diverse population. The site will be Silo City, in Buffalo, NY. The project will include research and analysis, visioning exercises, urban design and building design.
Students will work in teams and individually to produce:
- A virtual library of documentation on the site
- A compelling vision and branding plan
- An urban design plan for the Silo City complex and integration with the surrounding community
- Proposals for innovative programs and services including arts venues, commercial uses, residential uses and recreation opportunities.
- Adaptive re-use proposals for different buildings on the site